When buying a domain name for your Django web application or WordPress website, do you always get an email address associated with that domain?
For example, would buying example.com allow you to have an [email protected] email address?
Purchasing a domain name only does not always include any email address. For you to be able to create a custom domain name from your domain name, you must include a web hosting package from the domain registrar, or another hosting service, or use email serving services such as Zoho, Google Workspace, Fastmail, etc.
In a simple question and short answer…
Do you get an email address when you buy a domain name?
You do not get an email address when you buy a domain name only. You must purchase a mail server as a web hosting package or use mail hosting services such as Zoho or Google Workspace.
A mail server will allow you to create a custom email address such as [email protected] and be able to send and receive emails using this address.
So, let’s say you are purchasing a domain name from Namecheap.com.
You have these options for you to be able to have
- Include a web hosting package when buying a domain name. (Get a discount for the Domain + Email + Web hosting using this link)
- Use email hosting services such as Google Workspace, Zoho, Fastmail, Proton Mail, etc.
- Use another web host if you have one, such as A2 Hosting.
Let’s look at each one of them.
Include a web hosting package
When buying a domain name, you are not automatically provided with an email address for most domain registrars.
For you to be able to have your custom email address, you must include a web hosting package when buying a domain.
One affordable plan that you can choose is the shared hosting plan which will let you create a limited or unlimited number of custom email addresses depending on the host.
Usually, with a shared hosting package, you will be provided with cPanel login credentials that you will use to access your cPanel dashboard and create your custom emails.
If you choose the Dedicated or VPS hosting plans, they too will come with a default email address. You can also add additional email addresses using the SPanel dashboard provided by your host.
If you need a custom email address for your domain name, be sure to include a web hosting package when purchasing your domain name.
Struggling to find affordable hosting for your Django web application?
This hosting service offers a cost-effective solution that is tailored for
Allowing you to:
🚀 Supercharge Your Ideas: Worried about investing too much upfront? Our affordable shared hosting lets you test and validate your innovative concepts created using Python Django without draining your budget.
🎯 Lure and Impress Clients With an Already Deployed Django Project: You just need one hosting plan to host unlimited Django websites.
⚙️ Hassle-Free Setup: With the user-friendly interface, you’ll have your Django project up and running in minutes with this Django-ready optimized host. Besides, I have written an article for you to use to deploy your Django app, here.
Act now while there is a huge discount on their hosting plans. Use the link below
However, if you don’t want a custom email address, or you wish to use a dedicated email service, then choosing a web hosting package should not concern you.
This moves us to the next section, involving using an email hosting service such as Zoho.
Use email hosting services
- Do not want to use your domain name registrar web hosting package or
- Your domain name registrar does not offer a web hosting service or package,
then, you should definitely use an email hosting service that lets you create a custom email address from your domain name.
Some of the most popular and reliable email hosting services for personal and business emails are:
- Google Workspace
- Microsoft 365
- Proton Mail
You can sign up with these services, some of them (Zoho) providing free service for a limited number of email accounts, to create custom email addresses from your domain name.
Here’s what you need to do.
- Sign up with any of these mail hosting services
- Add your domain name once you sign in and access the dashboard
- You will be provided with SPF, DKIM, and DMARC records that you will need to configure your domain name. Follow the links provided for a step-by-step guide on how to add them to our DNS records.
- Log in to your domain name register website and access the DNS dashboard.
- Create or edit TXT DNS record types holding your SPF, DMARC, and DKIM records.
- Wait for DNS propagation to occur.
- Go back to your mail hosting service, eg. Zoho, access the domain management tab/section, and check that your DNS records reflect.
- Create a custom email address, eg. [email protected].
- Start sending and receiving emails using your new custom domain email address.
And that’s how you use an email hosting service to create a custom domain email address.
Use another web host
If you already have another web host that is either a shared hosting, managed VPS, or dedicated server, you can use it to receive and send emails from a custom domain.
But first, you need to log in and access your control panel dashboard such as cPanel or SPanel.
Locate the “Domains” section or section for managing domains based on the control panel that you are using.
Add your new domain name.
Edit the NAMESERVERS of your domain name from the domain registrar’s dashboard so that your domain name points to the servers that will be used to send and receive emails.
Back to your server’s control panel dashboard, locate the “Email accounts” section or relevant email management interface.
Create a new email address by selecting the domain name that you added in the Domain section.
And that’s basically it to using another web host with shared or managed VPS and dedicated hosting.
You may ask,
Why do I need an email server or web hosting to create a custom email address from my domain name?
Here are the reasons why you need to include a web hosting package or use email servers for you to be able to create a business email that reflects your domain name.
Why do you need an email server for your domain name
Emails, which are usually in the form of text, image, or video data must live somewhere in a computer.
This computer is called a server.
When using a web hosting package, it is called a web server.
When using an email service hosting such as Zoho, it is called the mail server.
The purpose of the server is to store your email messages and files whenever you receive or send them to your recipients.
So, without a mail server, you cannot be able to send, receive, authenticate, and store email messages.
Another reason why you need a server is that you need a computer that is always listening to incoming messages.
If you were to create an email host using your local computer, sometimes, especially when there is a power outage, you won’t be able to send and receive emails.
For that reason, you must purchase a server that is 99.9% guaranteed to be always online allowing you to send and receive emails at all times without any interruptions.
That’s why it is essential to use a reputable web or email hosting services such as Namecheap or Google Workspace.
This virtual server (that is actually a computer somewhere) is used to serve emails sent and received on behalf of your custom email address.
The duty of these mail servers is to:
- Listen to incoming email messages at all times,
- Authenticate and route incoming email messages to the right email address. (Read more on how emails are authenticated in my article on SPF records),
- Decrypt outgoing emails from your custom email address. (Read more about DKIM signature verification in this guide),
- Store email messages until they are received by the recipient’s mail server,
- Verify the identity of users sending or accessing emails using protocols such as SMTP authentication and TLS encryption to protect the privacy of email messages,
- Filter spam emails,
- Scan computer viruses and malware that may be delivered through email attachment files, and
- Queue and retry sending emails to the recipient’s server that may be temporarily unreachable.
In short, mail servers are responsible for handling the logistics of sending and receiving email messages while ensuring they are sent, received, and accessed in a secure manner.
That’s why you need a web hosting package or a mail hosting service to be able to create custom domain email addresses.
Best email hosting for small and large businesses
Here are the best email hosting services for personal, SMEs, and large businesses:
- Google Workspace. One of the best aspects of Google Workspace is the inclusion of Google Suite tools, which offer valuable features in addition to email serving. These tools allow for seamless storage and access to online documents, making collaboration on projects with team members or colleagues easier. Additionally, the shared calendars enable efficient scheduling and coordination, promoting better time management and productivity. The video conferencing apps further enhance communication by facilitating virtual meetings and discussions, regardless of geographical location. Google Workspace proves to be a versatile and indispensable solution for individuals and businesses seeking streamlined business operations and effective online collaboration.
- Zoho Corporation. Zoho incorporates a suite of additional tools that makes productivity, communication, and collaboration much easier. Besides, I find Zoho to be a perfect offer for value because it provides me with all the tools I need to run a content business. Whether it is creating email campaigns, email lists, or integrating with WordPress, Zoho seems to cover me without needing additional tools or services.
… and that’s it!
If you want to know more about how emails and domain name work, be sure to read these articles next: